View Single Post
Old 24th August 2019, 19:05   #148141
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Wes, we had a Westie that used to get that. The ticks from the grass used to make him chew tje base of his tail. Sometimes he used to get it on his elbows too, on his front paws. When I say get (it), I mean the areas used to get red raw through him biting them because of itching.
His groin area used to go black, and eventually ee had to get him referred to a vet dermatologist. He took blood and eventually diagnosed he was allergic to flea bites. We got cream to heal the red raw open wound at his tail, and some spray to kill the lice on his bed, which we chucked and replaced with new one. We had to spray any area that he used to lie , and some tablets to build up immunity to any future attacks. This was all over 20 years ago, cost about £350/400 back then, dread to think how much today. my mate has 2 rescue Westies, and they both have to have special shampoo and medication each summer, when the grass pollen is high.
Thanks Rich, Sounds very similar, but we cant find any fleas on her; seems to be some sort of allergy linked to the weather. Her eyes will puff up pink when we are out in the warm weather, and she cant stop licking her bits. She now wears a lampshade over the head now and again to help her stop, otherwise she licks until red raw.

It started with her licking her paws, then her bum, and now her other area; the poor thing doesn't know what to lick first. She has been on steroids and now antibiotics, plus cream and special shampoo, also antihistamine which all gets very expensive; but she is worth it.

Vet reckons he may want to take a biopsy in six weeks if it doesn't get better, she is alright in herself though; always alert and plenty of energy. She is not liking the lampshade though, and her itchy dry skin is driving her mad.

Last edited by Dallas; 24th August 2019 at 19:32..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote