View Single Post
Old 28th November 2019, 22:02   #43
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
I'm not a pot smoker and never have been but a lot of people I know are and have been for many years now. Members of my family also use it and after quite a few discussions (arguments) on the subject and challenged to do my own research I did some.

The first was the recollection of a BBC documentary quite a few years ago. This looked at the affect of cannabis and alcohol on driving. Those tested were both low and frequent users of both. All tested on a test track sober and all past. They were all tested again just over the limit with alcohol and every one failed the test. They were then sobered up and retested after all smoking the same amount of cannabis and they all past the driving test. Some actually improved their score and the conclusion was that cannabis made people more cautious and actually slowed them down. Because the test was done on a small number of people it could not be considered definitive but pointing to errors in our perceptions. More controlled studies in other countries have echoed these results.

Cannabis only smokers are not generally aggressive like drunks, they are not found blocking up A&E depts. causing problems for the staff at the week ends, fighting outside pubs and clubs and taxi ranks. The TCH seems to have the opposite effect so far less anti social problems. As one user said to me, booze makes you cocky, brave, aggressive, you will take on anyone, cannabis just chills you out. Have you ever seen someone fighting stoned or described as such? Well I haven't.

On health issues, well this is where it can be a case of positives and negatives. Is it more harmful than alcohol? probably less but some would say the same. It doesn't cause all the problems associated by alcohol but can and does seem to increase the risk of cancer. It appears to make smoking more dangerous.

The effect it has on people with psychotic mental issues is negative and these sufferers should avoid it at all costs, but are highly likely to be users. Research done recently in other countries especially the USA however show it can be very beneficial in the treatment of other mental health issues especially Bipolar. In fact it is prescribed in some States for this condition and for some it is the best stabiliser treatment available. I have personally seen the benefits that smoking cannabis has over UK prescribed medicines with someone with severe Bipolar. They are better just smoking cannabis than taking what in this country we prescribe only. I am not suggesting that those with Bipolar go out and buy some, I am just passing on what I have found. I have discussed this with mental health workers in the UK and more than one have said that their patients use it and benefit from it. I spoke to one senior Consultant who was very anti cannabis but did look at what research in other countries was saying. When we next spoke he said that the results and especially what was happening in the States was a bit of an eye opener, but he couldn't do anything with it as he would be breaking the law and could not see the UK government allowing him too look into it.

I know pensioners who suffer chronic pain and were not getting relief from their prescribed drugs. Their son got them some cannabis and now they take it every night and say they are much better. We see the news and hear what benefits that it is having on children with epilepsy.

I think its not as bad as we are led to believe and a lot of research needs to be done on finding out more about it, and take on board what has already been discovered around the world. I know there is a Parliamentary group who want to see more research and the legalisation of it for social use. They have looked into the arguments and foresee legislation will be passed within 10 years, some as as little as two.

I realise that my post will not be acceptable to many but I was challenged to look at cannabis and not just accept the official line and I think its less harmful than booze on the whole and has massive potential for medical use if only those who we put in charge would open their minds. To much evidence is now available to put an end to the stigma and that its on a par with accepted alcohol and probably has much more to offer.
I agree with you totally as a social worker and now Bi Pola sufferer.
Unless you have tried it and not felt it it is not as 'blown out of proportion' like it is. If you smoke, like drink then don't drive!!! All effects are gone the next day like alcohol with normal judgement required to drive a car. Just because cannabis is in your system for a number of days after a smoke, why should you be banned? Its like a bloke having a night out on Monday and being banned for driving by Friday

Another Feckless scheme!