View Single Post
Old 16th April 2018, 20:27   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Here are the photographs you have all been waiting for!
First the LH bank and other equipment:

The central portion including the idler wheel (on the right) which, as shown above, shows signs of seepage from its bearing:

Once I have removed the belt I will be checking all the ancillary equipment for play.
Next is the water pump:

Finally the right hand bank:

I don't know whether it is clear from these photographs but there is some dust sprinkled liberally over everything. This is mainly the result of me struggling to manoeuvre out the engine mounting plate (it resented being withdrawn).

As far as the belt is concerned, you will note that there is not a stray fibre to be seen, nor a single crack in the rubber. The teeth all fully fill the slots in the wheels. If anyone would like to see a closer shot of any portion of it, please let me know and I will do my best to oblige.

Remember that this belt has lasted over three times as long (3 x 6 years) as some people insist it will last. It has covered 90,608 miles which is why I am changing it. I'm not a gambling man you know!

I'm also really looking forward to reading the tantrum which will no doubt be posted by a certain well known trader in the club quoting some fantastic and complex theory alleging that this belt was about to break into a thousand pieces if I had left it just one more day!

All other comments are welcome as well.

Simon
Sorry to disappoint you Simon, the "zebra" markings on the belt are the result of the teeth bottoming in the pulleys, count yourself lucky