View Single Post
Old 12th May 2021, 13:06   #75
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I urge you to obtain some practical experience with fitting the drop link ... This has drawn on for weeks now, with only your theoretical arguments against ...
Alan, I am at a loss to understand how you can conclude that I don't have any practical experience of fitting anti-roll bar links, provided that you have read this thread from the beginning and are also aware that I'm replacing both broken springs and renewing the lower arm bushes as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
My current thinking is that you should leave your car at a competent garage, who will have the experience and tools to do the job. At least this way you will have recourse should it fail in service.
Thanks for your suggestion but I haven't used a garage for repairs for forty years. Over that time I have acquired experience in virtually everything including automatic gearbox repairs. I have collected a comprehensive stock of the best tools and I buy whatever is necessary to do the job to the highest standards. You don't have to agree with me and I'm not asking you to change the way you do things so there's no need to post in these disrespectful terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
You can actually secure the strut in the vice with the drop link mount facing towards you ...
I've just tried your suggestion Steve but the design and size of my vice must be different to yours. With the link fitted, avoiding damage to the welded brackets on the strut is the problem where they bear against the contours of the vice body. With your suggestion I would have only 27mm of the strut body held in the vice which I don't consider enough.

In any case, as you say, this doesn't help when the time comes to remove the link. Shortening the link's thread may work on the nearside but it won't on the offside. I'm saying that a crow's foot attachment is a better choice because it doesn't require shortening the thread and it enables the use of a torque wrench so, if you'll forgive the pun, it kills two birds with one stone!

Simon