View Single Post
Old 26th March 2021, 18:45   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Ordered an item on e-bay, couple of days later received e-mail saying item has been dispatched. Also on e-mail was a section "As a valued customer you have a chance to win a mobile phone." If successful send them £1. G/Son advised me not to try it. What i can't understand is, how can a scammer get onto an e-mail sent to me from a company and add a scam. If the future is going to buy on line only, someone must do more to get rid of these Scammers.
You ordered an item from a seller via ebay. You gave your email address to ebay. Seller creates a standard automated response, offering this 'deal'. Likely a way to obtain your email, and have you pay them a pound for doing it too lol.

It is a simple phishing email.

Remember too, it is not just a purchase via ebay, but also items you 'watch' or add to your basket etc. Ebay then 'promotes' the goods you looked at, or showed interest, by sending an email you provided. A seller is made aware that you were 'interested' in their product, so they then send a discounted offer to you again via the ebay messaging system, but within this, they could add their own text to a template.

Get yourself a 'disposable' email address for such things, and keep it separate from banking etc.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote