View Single Post
Old 21st August 2021, 00:24   #8
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
Hi
Not strictly for my my Rover, but my 5 year old Jaguar XE which has heavily scored rear discs. I am thinking of embarking on the job and wondered about the choice of discs that are available , vented or solid. I am light footed on the brakes and a low mileage driver on both the Rover and Jaguar. Most cars I've owned have suffered scoring and I believe it's a result of low mileage and light braking. I've only covered 21000 miles in the Jaguar and understand that vented discs dispel water quicker, which may help with rusting. Your thoughts and any links to suppliers of good quality mid range discs.
Thanks
Short answer is you should fit like for like.

I think you're confusing vented for drilled / slotted discs. Vented will not dispel water quicker then solid however drilled will do. You'd probably (although not always) have to replace the callipers to go from solid to vented however you can go to drilled without any other changes.
I have upgraded to slotted / drilled discs on cars I use on track however I'm not sure it made a huge difference but it will cause more wear on your brake pads so unless you're doing lots of performance driving I wouldn't bother.