View Single Post
Old 11th June 2022, 08:28   #5
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
Cat C No Thanks .
A car could be a Cat C simply because something as simple as a dent in a wing, or a bumper being required on an older vehicle.

Many years ago I had a Sierra with a simple rear wing dent just above the wheel arch caused by another driver.

Due to its age the assessor advised that it would be classed as a Cat C write off, but, due to its otherwise excellent condition I could buy it back at scrap value.

So I got the full market, at the time, payout of around £3,000, less around £200 and it was mine again.

A pleasant Saturday afternoon had it pulled out, filled, (very little ) and painted, straight colour, no faffing with metallics.

I ran it for another 8+ years, without any problems and by then it was getting very tired, so sold the engine, they were sought after for kit cars etc, sold a few other bits and bobs then scrapped the remainder for a total of around £450 +.

So a Cat C can be a bargain, I had no trouble insuring it other than being told that in the event of another claim that due to it being a Cat C there would be a reduction in the payout figure.

By the way, Cat C finished in 2017, the equivalent from then being N or S, so it was presumably damaged pre 2017.