View Single Post
Old 11th December 2018, 08:44   #36
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I wish you were my dentist.

I'm going to have to go back to my dentist soon I suppose to let them know about maxfax and the lowers coming out. See what she says then, will she fix my current ill fitting loose 5 week old upper, or will she want me to wait until I get my lowers extracted?

Grinding in, that is what I thought. The dentist would only have to groove out part of the side of the denture around the canine bulge, I've even thought about doing it myself with my dremel. I done this with my partial because it was ill fitting, I actually made it a perfect fit.

Its whether I can walk around with no teeth for awhile, at the moment I cant see me ever wearing a denture, I've lost all faith.
Perseverance is the word Dallas.

Your only experience at present is a temporary full denture which by its nature is on an unstable base. Think of it like laying a slab in a patio.........it is most dependent on the sub base and base. If this is not stable and is changing say due to the weather it won't be stable on the top slab.

All new full / full dentures will feel "big" due to the nerve endings all round the mouth telling the brain about 2 lumps of plastic now occupying the mouth! This is where the persevfrance comes in and eventually this feeling subsides in most cases. Dentists can make the palate in a very thin cobalt chrome ( not in the first 6 months after extractions) often for strength but also to allow the tongue more room.

As I mentioned there are technicians who are licensed and trained to deal direct with the public. All they do are dentures and so have more full / full denture experience than most ordinary dentists, especially the younger ones where often dental schools hardly teach anything on the subject anymore.

Even if you find you still struggle then there is always the implant road to go down where a number of , usually, titanium implants are fixed to your top and bottom jaws and then the dentures fix and anchor on to them ( still removable for cleaning etc). The results are fantastic, the procedure is not as "nasty" as it sounds and the longevity of them is well proven.

If you do go down the implant road eventually, then pm me and I will find out a reputable oral surgeon in your area from a good colleague of mine in Exeter. Many dentists now do implants but some have only had a minimal training so I think it is always good to have someone with the full qualification in implantology.

The drawback to the last two suggestions is the cost as they are private but sometimes if you find normal dentures are not working then it is worth the cost especially to give you your confidence back ( especially as NHS band 3 is now over £250 so doesn't take long to run up a large bill). However we may find that you do indeed adapt to normal dentures and let us hope so.

By the way even with dentures you should STILL VISIT A DENTIST to have soft tissues etc checked for early signs of cancer etc. I specialized for 20 years into the elderly and EMI patients ( often in Nursing Homes and Hospitals) and so came across many dentures. I found a number of cancerous issues in patients with "no teeth" and so had not attended a dentist for soft tissue checks.

I am often on the forum so any advice you want just put up a post or pm me. Makes a change from thinking about plenum chambers lol.

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 11th December 2018 at 09:30..
newhavenhibby is offline   Reply With Quote