Old 11th October 2019, 16:16   #5
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Con SE, Range Rover P38 4.6 for my Russian winter home

Location: France Feb to October/Sevastopol Crimea November to Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
Hi All,

I can't remember when I last posted about this problem and thus can't find the thread. However, I still have the problem of a coolant leak which I cannot find. I have checked everything there is no exterior leak. I borrowed a pump for the cooling system pumped it up to 14lbs and the needle remained rock steady. After travelling about 70-80 miles I have had to put in about 350ccs of coolant. The car is performing ok and I got a mechanic who I know to have a quick look and his view was that it was not HGF, but where on earth is the coolant going. I am nearly at the end of my tether with this problem and after nearly a year! In spite of what my mechanic and Simon said on this forum I still think that it must be HGF I don't think it can be anything else, can it? Any bright ideas please.

Martin
I had the same issue on and off for 2 years and even drove the car to the Pyrenes and back twice in that time. I was stumped and thought HGF but could not find the leak. Eventually one morning while refilling the header tank the water started to come out at the back of the motor as fast as I was putting it in. Unfortunately for me it was on my 3rd trip to the Pyrenees when this happened. It turned out to be the water pump had failed and this cost me my first born child to fix but as the car had only done 76000m it was due for new timing belts anyway so the pump and belts and tensioners where done as well as new covers.
So my suggestion is water pump.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Gunnerhavesome; 11th October 2019 at 16:18..
Gunnerhavesome is offline   Reply With Quote