View Single Post
Old 8th June 2021, 19:53   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default Aircon suspected over filling with gas

Hi again.
It's only been my third post after a long absence, and here I am asking for advice and a little insight and guidance. Last week i took my 75 in to my local garage to get the air con regassed. The poor old owner has been really ill of late suffer from cancer and has been closed for quite a while whilst fighting this awful disease. I thought i would put some business his way with an easy light job and asked if he could re gas the air con. As the car is 20 year old i went into this with an open mind. There could be any number of things wrong which I would accept, but a couple of hours later I got the call to say its all good. There was no leaks and everything was working fine.
Driving it home i did however notice it wasn't as cold as it used to be a few years back. It just didn't have that bite. I just put it down to either me kidding myself or that it was because it was exceptionally hot. Two days went by and the air con has stopped working. I can hear the pump clicking in and the engine taking the load but it's not producing any cold air. I was a bit reluctant to take it back to the garage, as he's really not very well and i don't want to burden or pester him whilst his so frail.
Incidentally the pump/compressor now sounds noisy and it's got me thinking as it did sound like this once before when the system was over filled with gas. Talking today to my next door neighbour who is a mechanic at a garage, he is sure it's been over filled by the symptoms I've told him. I've done him a few favours of late and he's going to check my car out tomorrow afternoon to see what's going on.
I thought I would ask here for you opinions here about it all. Maybe you could throw some more light on it all.
Thanks for reading and and the very best,
Johnny.