View Single Post
Old 9th June 2021, 12:40   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
Nothing to moan about,the UK signed up to the deal.

No chilled meats to be imported from non EU countries,nothing to debate, its been agreed by our Government
Indeed, but try putting a customs post at newry or dundalk (or any of the 100s of border roads) and then see the ruckas that follows lol.

Ireland dont want the border, because it would infringe their constitution, northern ireland do not want a border, because it would infringe on the good friday agreement. Britain cannot dump northern ireland onto ireland as it was agreed to 100 years ago, besides britain would be paying us off for at least 100 years (pensions, nhs, etc).

Personally I think the eu and ireland will have to deal with it themselves (smuggling patrols) on their side, and the uk on the north side. It is not as though eu countries try very hard to control the illegal immigrants and contraband to either ireland or britain from the eu mainland.

20 Years ago I would have been against a United ireland, now am.not so sure. 15% vat against 21%, no nhs (paying 50 quid to see the doctor? Mightnt be a bad idea though). My objections were always based upon financial considerations. The theft of the lands has since become a moot issue. The eu rationalisation allowed things to fall into the hands of ireland, that ni would have benefited more now because of it (roads for example). But this too has started to subside.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 9th June 2021 at 12:43..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote