Thread: The Eurosausage
View Single Post
Old 11th June 2021, 17:31   #55
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
Notice my questions went unanswered- again !

Just on talk radio:
Julia Hartley-Brewer just said:

"Many worried that Northern Ireland had effectively been thrown under a bus to deliver Brexit for the rest of the UK. I, as a Brexiteer, hold my hands up to that, as a price worth paying."

Says it all really.
Much more honest than BJ saying that ‘no British Prime Minister would sign up to an Irish Sea Border’
Then did
Then denied that it existed
Now blaming the EU when they implement the ‘agreed UK/EU rules’

You couldn’t make it up !

ANYWAY THIS IS MY FINAL POST ON THIS THREAD AS CLEARLY IT WILL END UP IN THE USUAL NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- FOR TAT.
JUST REMEMBER THAT IN THE COMING WEEKS NI WILL LIKELY BE IN THE NEWS HEADLINES, AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY.
It's been quiet civil and dignified - so far.
'We' were going to work through the tricky NI detail post 31st December 2020 meantime the wet border had to be accepted or it was 'No deal' - that was the strong arm stuff and I believe the UK side demonstrated the good faith that sort of compromise needs. There was a backstop though (no, not the one that got Mrs May dumped out of office), Article 16 and the post 2020 negotiated compromises/accommodations Article 13.2 would get before their final stamp of approval 4 years hence via the good people of NI. I see Mr. Macron has stated (again) earlier today that there will be no discussion nor compromise - so much for agreements then.
So if there is no movement and it's proven not to be working for NI, one side or 'tother is perfectly entitled to implement Article 16 - at any time, providing there is (internationally acceptable/recognised) reason so to do. Pres. Macron isn't the EU but he alone can spike it all with that attitude of 'goodwill', maybe his man didn't read the agreement, perhaps it wasn't French enough? No matter, if Article 16 isn't implemented the UK will and can, if necessary, support NI until 2024 and then which way do you think NI will vote?
The Republic neighbours meantime will find themselves on the thin end of the EU taxation and fishing divi wedge - talk about being thrown under a bus - poorer by at least €3Bn, being commercially shunned by the 6 Counties neigbours and one of only 5 net contributors to the EU 27 overblown exchequer, but with less of their own dosh - that's a good deal for supporting No Brexit!

Last edited by rab60bit; 11th June 2021 at 18:04..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote