Thread: Brake fluid!
View Single Post
Old 29th January 2019, 18:10   #52
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
If you don't have a T4 handy, the safest way to bleed the brakes on the car is without the ignition turned on, and without pressing the pedal.
I'm surprised to see only one person "thanking" MarinaBrian for this very helpful and relevant statement. In case anyone has missed the point, what this means is that you don't need a T4 to bleed the brakes. Expecting cries of disbelief, I offer below some basic information derived from RAVE by way of explanation.

If you look at the ABS modulator's flow diagram for any wheel, brake fluid from the master cylinder flows through the inlet solenoid valve (normally open) and thence to the caliper. 'Normally open' means that the default state of this valve, i.e. with no electric current applied to it, is that brake fluid is free to pass through it unhindered.

The outlet solenoid valves (also in the caliper circuit) are 'normally closed' so no fluid or air can pass through them unless a wheel sensor activates the ABS (which would not be the case when renewing fluid or replacing failed external pipework).

So what we effectively have is simply a length of pipe from master cylinder directly to the caliper. That's it, and this applies to all wheels. It has to be like this because the ABS is a fail-safe system. So if the ABS has not been activated there is no possibility of air entering any part which requires T4 to remove it.

I haven't found any reference to turning on the ignition activating any valves internal to the ABS modulator for testing purposes.

Simon