View Single Post
Old 5th July 2020, 12:32   #37
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Mike,

You'll see from Norbar's document, to which I linked, that reversible torque wrenches can be used for left-hand threaded fasteners but not exclusively so (as Brian thought).

Simon

Personally I never use a torque wrench for undoing anything, it just isn't good engineering practice. And funnily enough I can easily tighten a left hand threaded fastener using a right handed torque wrench too - just wondered if you had a method for doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
I meant if I bought the 3/4" Norbar plus a 3/4" 32mm socket, I could use them to torque the hub nuts to 350Nm, but then the Norbar is useless for everything else.
Price = £214 plus say £16 for the 32mm socket = £230 just to torque two nuts.

The alternatives are either: a) buy a reducer to use my existing 1/2" sockets on the Norbar, or b) buy a full set of 3/4" sockets and use those with the Norbar.
Price - a) is cheaper than b) but both would enable the Norbar to be used on a whole range of nut sizes.

I would be wary of using reducers and smaller drives as you risk breaking them if the nut is super tight. The last thing you want is for something to let go when you have all your weight on it. I bought my 3/4 drive torque wrench second hand on ebay - less than £30.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 5th July 2020 at 12:37..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote