View Single Post
Old 18th October 2020, 15:39   #17
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Update:

I have done some closer inspection to this engine now. Not easy to get a accurate measurement of the liner stand proud, but they seems to be close to 0.001"(0.025mm) above the block deck. The cylinder head has deep fire-ring indentaions, so its considered as scrap. I have two other cylinder heads on the bench, both removed from running engines. Both have some minor indents from the fire rings, but I guess this is normal. no.1 had an MLS gasket fitted and is overskimmed down to 118mm. The other one had an elastomer gasket togehter with a 0,5mm head saver shim fitted. Its height is 118,4mm.

None of the cylinder heads will take an N-series gasket I assume. I will favour a solution where a head saver shim is used as it will compensate for the overskimming done and is also forgiving to other cylinder head issues. I will not use a "wellseal" fitted shim, so then it all ends up with the MLS alternative.

At the moment, I think a resonable solution is to raise the cylinder liners with liner shims so the stand proud is 0.004"-0.005" and fit everything together with a preium MLS gasket (Victor Reinz) and uprated oil rail. I am not sure if the higher tensile bolts is needed?

Any comments/Advice is greatly welcome
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote