Old 2nd January 2022, 21:14   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Hi.
The work on the 75 continues the today with the rear brakes.
I couple of weeks back when I hit the brakes approaching a roundabout ,I heard an horrendous grinding noise from the offside rear brake. Even after taking my foot off the pedal it continued to grind. I stopped immediately and had a good look around but couldn't find anything obvious wrong. Since then though the rear brake has making a slight thumping noise when the pedal was depressed. Some day's it would be much worse than others.
As I've got a few days off over Christmas where I won't need the car for work it was time to have a good look around and get them sorted out.
The pads and discs were in reasonable condition but the shoes used for the handbrake were not so great. My car is an automatic and for my sins I've rarely use the handbrake over the 10 years of ownership (yes I know I should).
So being curious to know why the shoes had worn so badly on the outside, it turns out that a assembly that holds the brake shoes has rusted away setting the shoes free. So today it's an expensive day of replacement of both discs and pads (might as well do it whilst it's all apart) new handbrake shoes and the backing assembly (don't know what the proper name is) on both sides.
How's the progress on your brakes refurbishment ?? Are you winning ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote