View Single Post
Old 28th September 2021, 02:20   #17
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

When I was offered my HGV license for free in 1994 it was because there was a shortage of drivers.
The problem has still not been addressed.
Successive Governments have failed to act.
Hauliers have treated drivers as a necessary evil and paid them peanuts.
The promise of 105 new truck stops in 1997 produced just 2.
Why would a young driver with a family want to work 71 hours a week? Perfectly legal too.
Today there is a haulier only 10 miles from me that pays its drivers only £8.88 per hour. The loophole is simple. Daily rate is £120. Divided by 13.5 hours worked gives you the hourly rate. Needless to say they lost 3 quarters of their drivers but the remaining 25% are mug enough to take poor pay.
The industry has been subject to a welcome introduction of a new professional addition, the driver CPC which makes the job safer and keeps drivers knowledge up to date.
Unfortunately older drivers decided to retire rather than go through more classroom time. Younger or new drivers had to go through another written test to get a licence. Would you be happy to do all of this for £8.88 per hour?
I agree with the CPC but if you are going to take the job to another level of professionalism you need to pay a wage that recognises it.
Right now ALL hauliers are having to pay more for drivers. Even the one paying £120 has just increased the rate to £131 per day. Still peanuts.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk