View Single Post
Old 7th October 2019, 16:30   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Too late for now, as I attempted to change the front discs and pads at the weekend and could see my T50 from my Draper set bending, so got nowhere with that. It went into the garage this morning for them to do the job, as I need the car later this week. For a very fair price they did it.

I would rather have done it myself but now need a suggestion as to a suitable set or tool, which could manage such a stubborn job, for the future?
Impact 'screwdriver'. I have a Draper one with a small selection of interchangable bits, now probably 15 years old but didn't cost a great deal at the time. Before attacking the screws, 'unsettle' the old discs/drums with a sharp tap of a hammer (if these are being replaced it doesn't matter, if they are to be retained use a copper/hide mallet or an aluminium drift/block between the hammer and disc/drum) and a likewise sharp clout (old technical phrase...) on the screws themselves using the appropriate bit inserted into the screw head, hit with said hammer/mallet.
Then, just use the impact screwdriver/bit per instructions usually provided - easy and 95% effective unless a gorilla carried out the last brake service/repair!!
On re-assembly use copperslip on the screw threads (for next time...) and remember that on our disc brakes these screws don't actually carry any significant load, that's all handled by the hub studs and taper wheel nuts.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote