View Single Post
Old 7th January 2021, 16:33   #1
Andy24601
Regular poster

Rover saloon

Default ATF fluid level wrong?

I replaced my V6 autobox cooling radiator (I was replacing the main radiator, and the autobox radiator, whilst not actually leaking was really shonky looking and missing a lot of fins). I drained the old ATF out of the old radiator to give me some idea of how much I should put back (about 750 ml). Following the instructions on topping up the autobox to the absolute letter (correct temp, engine running, each gear selected in term). I removed the level plug (14mm hex on my 2005 car, engine still running) and nothing came out. So I poured some more ATF fluid in (750 ml), still nothing. More fluid (250 ml this time), still nothing out the level plug hole, poured some more in (another 250 mil) , still nothing. I checked that I had removed the right plug (I definitely had).
Before I started all this, the gearbox was absolutely fine (smooth changes etc.) so I assume level was at least somewhere near. So:
Where is all the fluid going? (no obvious leaks anywhere)
Do I just keep filling the box until I get something out of the level plug hole because it just doesn't feel right (am I being overly cautious?)
Andy24601 is offline   Reply With Quote