View Single Post
Old 17th January 2021, 16:45   #9
Andy24601
Regular poster

Rover saloon

Default ATF fluid - operator error

Long story short - by following the advice on this forum (once again) I have now successfully topped the auto gearbox.
Some things I learnt along the way:
apparently my neighbours (who are all on lockdown) are as bored as I am but don't have the benefit of a Rover 75 to mess with. So instead, they feel obliged to come and talk with me whilst I'm working on the car - Without wishing to sound churlish, I don't have the greatest attention span anymore and I find that their well-meant attempts at conversation often distract me from what I'm doing. Now I'm not saying that's the reason why I turned the car engine off without replacing the gearbox level plug but that's what I did- obviously the ATF that was busy whizzing around the box then just emptied on the ground. Fortunately I have a cat and therefore access to cat litter which does a great job of soaking up the ATF slick on my driveway (the fact that the ATF is cherry red the resultant scarlet pool meant it looked like I had committed a particularly nasty murder).
Anyway, apart from the loss of some ATF and yet another stain on the driveway there was no harm done and I now have the correct level of fluid in the box. All I have to do now is sort out why the cooling fan is behaving so oddly...
Andy24601 is offline   Reply With Quote