View Single Post
Old 9th September 2021, 22:40   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A good friend of mine has a Land Rover Discovery Sport, it is 6 months out of warranty and he has had owned it for about 12 months. On a recent trip to Scotland he kept getting a warning that the steering assistants was going to be turned off and it did on a couple of occasions, it would come back if he switched off the car and restarted it.

Any way it went into the dealer today for investigation. He was charged £280 to investigate the problem and all it needed was a software update

You cant tell me they didnt know exactly what the problem was likely to be and he was warned it might need another update if the problem comes back.

Anyway while on the ramp it was noticed it needs a new header tank for the cooling system but they didnt have one in stock, the part is £180, the sensors need coding to the car and it will take about an hour to fit, total cost will be over £350.

This is on a 42 month old car with 22k miles on it.
The figures stated seem typical for any modern car where a main dealership is used for diagnostics and repairs including manufacturer supplied components. Your post in my view proves the point that spending say £1k on a known good car in order to extend its useful life is often going to be more economical than a replacement car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
Fools and their money are easily parted!
Really, my friend, what you say is so deflating. Nevertheless, thank you for your sensitive and so eloquently delivered expression of views.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote