View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2018, 12:17   #15
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I cannot say that I am surprised by the replies, but my views and approach to life actually resonate with yours. Unfortunately most people do not think about fairness, just what they can get out of the situation. Personally, I am never in such a hurry to get anywhere that I have to jump a couple of car spaces. I find leaving 5 minutes early to get to my destination is quite sufficient.

We often have a situation on the A14 at a major turning into Ipswich during the rush hour where traffic has queued up on the inside lane of the A14 to turn off to Ipswich. The outside lane is clearly marked for straight ahead traffic only, which includes northbound traffic for the A12 as well as all the traffic to Central/East Ipswich and Felixstowe docks. During the rush hour we often get drivers who want to jump the queue waiting to turn left by driving in the outside lane right up to the turning. Sometimes they cannot get in because the traffic in the inside lane is not moving so they block the whole of the A14 whilst waiting in the outside lane to get in. It would be well justified to use traffic cameras to fine/award points to these drivers as they cause serious obstructions on a major road and are a danger to other road users.

On the whole, what you are observing is now the way of the world. In this world, there are some cheeky ways of achieving a quiet grin in situations such as the one you describe. For example, are you prone to occasionally stalling your car in the right hand lane approaching the roundabout and then having difficulty restarting it?
The pleasures of the Copdock Roundabout