View Single Post
Old 1st December 2019, 14:34   #4
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I made aluminium washers from an old ECM casing, to avoid accelerated electrolytic corrosion however pan menders are just as good

It's not the worst I've seen

Brian

P.S. your exhaust assembly paste will allow for subsequent dismantling of the exhaust if required
These might help provided the edge is rounded off so that it doesn't cut into the heatshield. I think that's half the problem - the washers on the original bolts have a sharp edge and it cuts in as the rest of the heatshield vibrates up & down. You can see it in the post 1 pic.

PS. Good news re the paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
instead of two strips I used one and bent it over. Drilled for the bolt hole then offered it up so the bolt hole lined up, drilled through in two places and riveted the two "strips" together. Then bolted to the car

macafee2
I'm not sure I understand . Do you mean you sandwiched the edge of the shield between one long strip bent in two (doubled over), then bolted through the sandwich?

If so, how did you match the contour of the shield - it's not flat, there's a long hump between each pair of bolt holes, i.e.

• Front pair: distance between bolts centres = 33cm / hump length = 28cm
  • Rear pair: distance between bolts centres = 20cm / hump length = 14cm