View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:58   #9
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Make up some larger alloy washers and use those to stop corrosion in the future use under the shield and on the surface.
Good idea Steve - especially the moulded washers. I see you've used flat sheet for some washers and some bits cut from another heatshield for others. I don't have either of those so I'll have to buy something. What thickness flat sheet did you use?

I'm still toying with the idea of using flat sheet strips running between each pair of bolts - a bit like the strap on the fuel tank. If I can get the 'humps' exactly the right height it'll clamp the whole contact surface between the bolts. Each strip would be 40mm wide and (say??) 2mm thick.

Here's one supplier (see Flat Bar or Sheet options) - https://www.metalswarehouse.co.uk/custom-cut-metal/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-se1mIOX5gIVCLTtCh0bdwDXEAAYASAAEgJMgPD_BwE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
worth while plopping some goo / sealant between the shield and the Chassis and the washer and the Shield to help/ slow the dissimilar metal corrosion.
Good idea again, although I'll be painting the area underneath the heatshield anyway and I'll use stainless steel bolts.