View Single Post
Old 18th September 2016, 08:04   #1
sam75

Rover 75 saloon

Default 1800 Overheating!

Our 1800 petrol, (non-air con) has been in the family from new, 93000 miles, and has never caused any problems, (until now). 5 years ago I had the head gasket changed as a preventative measure with an MLS gasket. In August of this year whilst towing our (relatively light) caravan the car suddenly overheated without warning. Called the RAC who diagnosed a blown head gasket and towed us home, (fortunately we were on the way home anyway). I put the car into the local garage, (who we have used for years). They removed the head and found no obvious gasket failure or problem. We had the head pressure tested and lightly skimmed, new elastomer gasket, (based on advice I found through the forum) new bolts, strengthened oil rail in the bottom and a new thermostat, cooling system vacuum filled,(cost just short of £1k). Within a week the car had overheated again, (switched off immediately). The only warning was an increasing water-flowing noise from behind the dash which got worse as the week went on). Water level in the expansion tank never changed as the week went on. Took the car back to the garage and had a new radiator, water pump (in case it the impellor was letting go when it got hot) and a replacement set of known good cooling fans, (another £400). The car has overheated again after another week, (again increasing water rushing noise behind the dash). I have run the car in diagnostic all week. Engine temp was holding at 88-90 at the start of the week, but has crept up to around 93 as the week has gone on. On Thursday it crept up further whilst the car was standing, fan cut in at 105, but temp just kept rising. We have spoken to the garage again, they are at a loss, the only option seems to be a recon engine at around £2000 fitted. We had a trip around the local car garages yesterday to look at buying a new car, but after spending what we have so far, don't have much money left to buy anything decent which isn't going to cause us trouble. The garages will only give us £100 for the Rover - really sad as it has been meticulously maintained throughout its' life and overheating aside, it is pretty much immaculate! Do we bite the bullet and fit a new engine? Any other ideas anyone? I have read a few threads on this from people with a similar problem but nobody seems the have come up with the solution. HELP!
sam75 is offline   Reply With Quote