View Single Post
Old 18th September 2016, 12:12   #9
sam75

Rover 75 saloon

Many thanks!

The engine did have K seal put in about six years ago, (to cure a slight coolant loss, which it did). I mentioned this to the garage when it went in for the head gasket and they made sure it was all cleaned out properly, (including the bleed on the inlet manifold). Is there anywhere else they might have missed?

The system has been vacuum filled twice in the last three weeks. On the last overheat I drained off myself and filled it manually, (very slowly, following info on here and instructions in RAVE). Problem went away but came back again after a similar amount of running.

Expansion cap allows air in, but not out, (until about 116C when it blows coolant out). If opened when still warm, hiss of air comes out, (as it always did). Also tried new seals on it but no difference.

With the system freshly filled, all hoses are hot, (including heater). After 5 days of commuting (ish) it overheats, at which time the bottom radiator hose is cold, but the top one is roasting hot. Heater still hot, but noticeably hotter when engine revs are increased.

Keep the ideas coming, happy to try anything!
sam75 is offline   Reply With Quote