View Single Post
Old 24th May 2022, 11:52   #4
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Yes Nathan, on a KV6 that is a reasonable conclusion.

That's a very good question and I'm uncertain of the answer! As you are fitting a new condenser you can check it another way.

No, your control box will be different. It will have three relays rather than two and different wiring colours. Locate your large relay which will be on the right hand side and identify the thin blue wire. Connect a jump lead between that and the black wires on the small relay at the far left hand side. Now turn on the ignition. Does the fan run at slow speed?

That's a two speed replacement with a silver resistor. It's best to replace the silver resistor with a higher wattage gold one. But you don't need to go the considerable expense of renewing the entire fan system. If you do have a three speed motor you can fit new brushes to it and restore operation (provided that the commutator hasn't been damaged).

The best way forward Nathan is not to jump the gun. Take off your front bumper and the fan control box lid will be labelled "KV6" if it's a 3 speed system. With the lid off, photograph the inside if you can and post it here.

I hope this helps.

Simon

Thank you for the elaborate answer. My first course of action was indeed going to be taking the bumper off to try the wire trick if it was also possible with the 3-speed fan. For this it is very good to know which wires to connect, thank you for that! Probably will get around to it on friday, but now I have a plan of how to tackle this.
Savestones is offline   Reply With Quote