View Single Post
Old 17th January 2022, 19:47   #6
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
It is when I see requests for items like this that I miss some of my old suppliers.
There used to be small machine shops about who could supply / make you anything you wanted. The problem is that apart from their bread and butter customers, the odd person wanting a couple of left hand nuts M8 or a funny little spring. Or 20 thou taken off a brake cylinder retaining clip. These companies are usually run by old engineers. Sadly old engineers are getting thin on the ground.
You used to be able buy a plastic service case full of assorted sizes of expansion springs and or compression springs for under a tenner from your local tool van, Frosts, Demon tweeks. To mention but a few.
Best of luck with your springs
Alan
Thanks Alan.
For a good number of years owning MGR vehicles, I amassed a superb level of parts similar to the ones on request. These were sourced from a few local breakers yards on a regular basis during gaps of work. Spent hours at yards procuring many regular wanted items alongside the oddball stuff too. Every time I acquired a single part, I would make sure that all fixings and related attachments came with me if they were serviceable. This is how the stocks were built up, and some remains with me despite being MG/Rover free for two years now. So now the breakers yard trips being almost non-existant, and the lack of suitable cars within them, led me tothink I might be lucky trying here. As I workk with cars daily, the urge to work on cars is beginning to escape me in a way that I would rather seek an alternative to breaking down a rear brake system for a few springs in the cold, wet and less than comfortable environment. I agree with you about the good old days !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote