View Single Post
Old 26th April 2022, 07:12   #1
Don_neo

MZ ZT

Default Loud whistling noise from the rear of the engine

Two weeks ago, after waking my ZT from hibernation, I noticed a strange loud whistling noise coming from the engine area.
It occurs everytime I press on the gas pedal, but especially on load, no matter if its high or low. And it's whistling until i take my foot of the pedal.
If I break with with the engine, no matter how much rpm, I can't hear anything.
I even tried to turn of the engine of at higher speed in gear and there was nothing to hear. but when I pressed on the gas pedal an the throttle body opened, the noise was back. Not as loud as on running engine but definitively audible.

I suspect that the noise occurs when a certain amount of air/exhaust is flowing through the engine. The more flow the louder the noise.

Searching on the internet and especially in this forum I read a lot about broken or loose breather pipes.
So I checked all breather pipes and even opened both valve covers to check if there was something blocked. In fact the small hole on the rear valve cover was clogged but cleaning it didn't solve the problem.

I tried to figure our where it comes from but it's hard to locate. It seams like it's coming from the rear bank.

I have no idea what causes this noise.
Did anybody have this problem?

I found an old video on youtube which shows exacty the same problem I have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aPFrq0f8MM
Don_neo is offline   Reply With Quote