View Single Post
Old 24th April 2020, 22:20   #6
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

I was ordered to shut down in March. I didn't want to at the time, but with hindsight it seems the risks from Covid-19 are much worse than we were originally told and that decision was the right one. Dental practices using ultra-sonic instrumentation and high speed handpieces generating aerosols are potentially 'super-spreaders'.
We've spent tens of thousands on following all of the GDC, CQC, NHS, BDA, and CDC advice to name the main agencies controlling dentistry. Almost everything disposable, and autoclaving and disinfecting everything that isn't and now we're told it isn't good enough. Bit depressing actually. Existing protocols were supposed to be enough to protect our staff, patients and ourselves from Hepatitis A, B, C, AIDS, regular seasonal flu and other unknown threats.
I start a full week of telephone triage on Monday. This will be my second week on the emergency rota. I hated last time being unable to do more than advise on DIY dentistry to people in trouble, many of whom have supported our little practice since I started in Truro in September 1999 . No regular PPE let alone enhanced PPE is available from normal suppliers. Pressure of dental emergencies is inevitably building as the weeks of lockdown stretch forwards.
The Cornwall emergency dental hub was much delayed but finally opened last weekend. They were immediately overwhelmed! All dentists are now required to collect several pages of information and comply exactly with a Covid-19 flowchart assessment, so you were fortunate to get in and your practice has done well for you.
Not looking forward to Monday morning! When will we be allowed to get back to delivering dental care?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote