View Single Post
Old 19th August 2018, 20:16   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Basically in the safe position the 180 locking plates fits perfectly and the 190 ones did not ..
Two points on this Matt:
  • It’s incorrect to refer to the Rover 177 Ps 2.5 litre KV6 tools as “180 locking plates”. They are not. The MG 180 automatic transmission engine has the same valve timing as the manual 190, so the 190 tooling is used on both.
  • As I said, don’t confuse yourself by trying to fit the locking tools to your existing belt set-up. Proceed with removing the old belt and use the 190 tools when fitting the new one. All will be well!
Quote:
1.)Mark up the belt and pulleys in the current timing config, so if I am wrong or make a mistake I have a reference point to go back too.
Matt, there’s no point in doing this. Since the front inlet sprockets are ‘floating’ any marks you make will only confuse. Secondly, if you have the special tools then marks are unnecessary. Just fit the tools and your engine will be correctly timed, it’s as simple as that!
Quote:
2.) slacken the belt main belt and align the camshaft with the 190 plates and then I am hoping the rear belts will re align ....
They won’t. As I said, having fitted the front belt do not refit the front tools. You will need to remove the flywheel pin and rotate the engine very slightly to align the rear notches. You must do this otherwise you won’t be able to fit the rear tools and therefore will be unable to undo the rear sprocket bolts safely.
Quote:
Last question .. if mis-timed in the wrong timing position (either 180 or 190) there is no chance of damaging the engine ...
If you use the flywheel locking pin the engine will be in the safe position. The slight adjustment I’ve mentioned will still be safe. So no, there is no danger of damaging the engine.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 20th August 2018 at 12:17..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote