View Single Post
Old 24th August 2018, 20:36   #19
Matt G
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+ (Development car), mg zt 190SE (Twilight), MG ZS 180

Thought I would post a quick update.

After a lot of checking and then double checking, and an odd bit of blasphemy I have managed to change the belts on my mg zt.

I did keep to the plan of marking the belts and sprockets for reference points and it paid off. Although I did use the locking tools for the main job in hand.

My mg Zt had been miss timed to the standard 2.5 v6 settings and also the 14 year old primary timing belt had stretched to the point that the tensioner had just about reached its stop and was letting it slacken off. Having purchased the car like this, it was a good decision not to start or drive it until I had changed the belts, so crisis avoided.

Once aligned with the correct 190 locking tool all my rear camshaft belt marks lined up perfectly. And with my markings, both front camshaft where exactly 1 tooth out (approx 4 degrees) out on both sides.

Also by counting the belt teeth between my markings also help confirm that I was not 1 tooth out either way when I fitted the new belts.

Sd1too thanks for the gen about setting the tensioner pulley, that I certainly would of over looked if you had not of mentioned it.

But anyway thanks to SD1too, Phil-T4, marinabrian, mh007, coups, chris75, bolin and Mike Nocs for brilliant advice, it certainly helped guide me through the job in hand.

Regards

Matt
Matt G is offline   Reply With Quote