View Single Post
Old 25th August 2018, 08:22   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Thanks for the report Matt; it's very useful to all of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
... the 14 year old primary timing belt had stretched to the point that the tensioner had just about reached its stop and was letting it slacken off.
That sounds to me as if, at the previous belt change, whoever did it (garage or DIY owner) did not know that the tensioner pulley has to be set-up very carefully. Who can blame them? I only found out through being a member of this club.

So I don't actually think that your belt had stretched Matt. If it had, to the extent you describe, the enlarged teeth would have popped out of the sprocket slots long ago. Also, if your 14 year old belt had stretched, why hadn't mine which was 19 years old? The difference is that my belt & tensioner hadn't been touched since the car left the factory.
Quote:
Once aligned with the correct 190 locking tool all my rear camshaft belt marks lined up perfectly.
That's interesting and I suppose makes sense since the relative position of both camshafts has to remain the same on 190 & 177 engines. Thanks for pointing this out.
Quote:
Sd1too thanks for the gen about setting the tensioner pulley ..
It's a pleasure Matt. I'm convinced that this, and the condition of the associated pulley bearing, are the reasons why a very, very small number of KV6 primary belts come to grief. It's good to know that yours won't be one of them; a job very well done! I hope that it will encourage others.

Simon