View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:07   #9
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Not sure how far into Hampshire you are, but if your not a million miles away, get Corin to have a look/listen/poke
I did get a PM back from me and he gave me his home phone number - I left two messages and spoke to his wife but he still hasn't got back to me, and that was a couple of weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Colin,

What about the auxiliary drive belt, it's tensioner and idler wheels? If you begin by removing the wheelarch liner, then start the engine and have a close look at the belt tension.

Simon
It's not the aux belt run Simon, sadly. I released the tensioner from the top of the engine bay using a 3/8" socket and slipped the belt off the aux idler and aircon compressor and moved the belt out of the way of the crankshaft pulley, and ran the engine - the noise remained.

In my investigations I did find that the aux idler is a bit noisy, but has no play in the bearings. However, this is not the cause of the noise that this thread is about - hence me being quite worried about it as it appears to be something more fundamental.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote