View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:18   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Alan,

The E-Bay seller to whom you've linked is an authorised X-Part dealer of unblemished reputation so you couldn't do better. It's good to see that the front timing belt tensioner pulley and idler are included. From my experience you'd be unwise not to fit these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roker View Post
I guess, whilst it is in bits that the thermostat piping should also be changed and perhaps even the water pump(?).
The thermostat and piping does not need to be disturbed for the timing belt job and as Lord of Hog says, if they're not leaking leave well alone.
In my view the same goes for the water pump. There have been cases of replacement pumps giving trouble when there was nothing wrong with the original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roker View Post
All hoses look original,so is it worth doing those too for peace of mind?
No. I've never had to renew a single hose on my twenty year old 75 which has covered over double the mileage that yours has.

If you do decide, against the advice so far, to renew the thermostat housing and pipes, check with the supplier that the two plastic clips are included with the straight pipe. These must be fitted and moved outwards after assembly to ensure rigidity. You can't safely re-use those already fitted to your engine. But I recommend that you limit the work to the timing belts as you'll have quite enough on your plate with those. Do you have the special service tools?

Simon