View Single Post
Old 6th June 2020, 11:45   #19
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Yes our cars are Tourer Turbo "poverty spec" the higher spec is the ZTT 1.8T +
- keep a keen eye on your coolant level - i would swop out the plastic coolant t-piece (top left behind the radiator) for a metal t-piece a classic failure point if not already done - i would also advise to swop out the MGR rubber coolant hose for Silicone hose - and if you have the time and inclination swop the plastic inlet manifold for a metal one . Finally make sure your slow speed fan is working - use the Demist Test (search the site ) - if not working it will be a failed resistor on the front of the fan as you look at it - if its the original silver resistor replace with the upgraded gold resistor.

Would highly recommend the Kmaps remap - the engine was built for 200bhp but was limited by MGR/BMW in the factory so as not to compete with the KV6/190 or the equivalent BMW offering.
Thanks for the tips! I’m no stranger to keeping an eye on fluids. Having owned my ZR 1.8 for sixteen years, it’s second nature

My car already has a metal inlet manifold, I just assumed this was standard on the turbo? Apparently not, it must have been upgraded. The car has many receipts for lots of work in it’s life some of which was just in the last couple of years. It seems to have been pretty well cared for.

I will however take a look at the T piece and perform the resistor check. That’s really useful info thank you.
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote