View Single Post
Old 19th September 2021, 14:05   #18
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
IMO, we need a standard system of measurement, weights etc, that everyone knows to adhere to. This can then be embedded into the national curriculum.
There is and it is (or at least it was 20+ years ago lol). Metric is the standard, schools taught the metric system, with additional imperial teaching.

----‐-------------

Imperial is still used of course for certain situations, why I do not know, safety perhaps as most knew at the time what a mph was (whereas kph could have been dangerous to the great unwashed in 1971? Not to.mention the costs).

Comfort and financial ruin, as again the great unwashed may have struggled with 1lbs of tomatoes against 1kg,therefore causing financial ruin.

Then you have 36 A, B, C, D, DD etc. How is a woman, the gentle soul that she is, supposed to get the time to work out her cup size if the formula is in inches! Then to the greengrocer to buy 1lb (and not 1kg) of potatoes for her mans dinner, where its recipe required 5fl oz (and not 5ml) of stock for his gravy.

The only reason the man got home after his woman, avoiding her getting a talking to, was because he was stuck at the station. Along with many others arguing and trying to work out if his train ticket was now more expensive with the 10 pence piece he was handed back in his change.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote