View Single Post
Old 19th September 2021, 15:05   #19
Gremlin

MG ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
There is and it is (or at least it was 20+ years ago lol). Metric is the standard, schools taught the metric system, with additional imperial teaching.

----‐-------------

Imperial is still used of course for certain situations, why I do not know, safety perhaps as most knew at the time what a mph was (whereas kph could have been dangerous to the great unwashed in 1971? Not to.mention the costs).

Comfort and financial ruin, as again the great unwashed may have struggled with 1lbs of tomatoes against 1kg,therefore causing financial ruin.

Then you have 36 A, B, C, D, DD etc. How is a woman, the gentle soul that she is, supposed to get the time to work out her cup size if the formula is in inches! Then to the greengrocer to buy 1lb (and not 1kg) of potatoes for her mans dinner, where its recipe required 5fl oz (and not 5ml) of stock for his gravy.

The only reason the man got home after his woman, avoiding her getting a talking to, was because he was stuck at the station. Along with many others arguing and trying to work out if his train ticket was now more expensive with the 10 pence piece he was handed back in his change.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
I remember being asked by a colleague if bra’s came in hat sizes as he wanted to buy his wife a nice one but didn’t know her size. However he estimated that each one would fit, one a time, into his hat which was 6 and 7/8th.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote