View Single Post
Old 21st September 2020, 19:38   #13
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I had a problem when I bought my car with cool running so changed to a standard stat,( i didn't use top hose mod because I tow) after which the temp stayed fairly static at 89/91c and might rise to 93/95 on long climbs. I am talking here about long distance runs through Spain etc.

What I have found is that the engine gets hot very quickly when given some work to do i.e towing where i have found on gradients in the uk temps would quickly rise to high 90's and abroad would get near to overheating and has overheated on gradients at high ambient temps.

From my experience I wouldn't trust my car again towing abroad but due to health issues am probably not going to tow any longer so it matters not. I have a hunch that with the engine fitted transversely with the undertray on there is barely any space for air flow around the engine.

I am not wanting to introduce 'towing' into the thread to divert from the original question but to I have proved that these engines can get very hot. In normal driving if the temp reached say 98/99 the temp gauge would stay 'normal' so most drivers would not be aware. As a thought presumably the original stat is still in place, could it be partially closed restricting flow to the inline stat and causing fluctuation of temps?
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote