View Single Post
Old 14th October 2015, 17:06   #4
jpdoc
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Another sat nav cd unit success!

A big thanks to le-sabre. I've been fiddling with the sat nav cd unit on my 2000 connie for years - the factory fit gave out a few years ago, I got a replacement from Sean in Bexhill-on-sea, this failed after a few months, I bought another on this forum but it had a corrupt display problem (the seller offered to help me track it down but as some months had passed I didn't want to bother him) and in August of this year I bought a mk3 on ebay.

The unit was advertised as good working condition but when I installed it the red power light stayed on so it flattened my battery in a day. The ebay seller kindly refunded my dosh, I unplugged it and ran without.

As per other posts on this forum I had opened all of the units and cleaned up any water ingress I found with no success. Then I saw le-sabre's post while browsing. When I opened up the mk3 the pcbs looked clean and I could find no water ingress, but I wasn't aware of the small pcb in the front panel which has the red power light built into it.

So I re-opened up the unit and dismantled the front panel. Sure enough there was furring on the ribbon cable from the main board to this little one. I cleaned up with a toothbrush and Isoproyl Alcohol, dried it out and re-installed it. Eureka! The power light now goes out. I'm leaving it overnight but every sign is that it's fixed.

Attached a pic of some of the collection I've gathered while mucking about with this. Also a pic of the ribbon cable and pcb that were causing the problem in the hopes that it might help someone else.

Once again this forum proves itself a godsend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collection.jpg (114.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Ribboncable.jpg (109.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Board.jpg (79.4 KB, 73 views)
jpdoc is offline   Reply With Quote