Thread: Where to buy...
View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2018, 06:10   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

A new 2-pin alternator will fit and function even if the original has 3 pins. If you wish to find out whether your original is 2 or 3 pin, look at the socket on the end of the alternator and count the number of spade connectors in the socket.

With your linked alternators, I suspect tthe "genuine" item is an X-part imported Chinese item as opposed to an original Rover item which was a Valeo. It is too cheap to be a Valeo.

My preference is always to get the current alternator rebuilt with new regulator, brushes, rotor and bearings. It cost me £105 to have the CDT item rebuilt in Ipswich 2 years ago.

If you are having charging problems, it may just be the regulator which can be replaced with the alternator in-situ. But, depending on the mileage, the slip rings could also be worn. If replacing just the regulator, a 3-pin has to be replaced with another 3-pin and a 2-pin for a 2-pin.

If I was buying a new one, I would buy a new Valeo or Bosch 2-pin alternator from Carparts4less. Cost will be around £190 with their weekend discounts.

Last edited by MSS; 22nd February 2018 at 06:24..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote