View Single Post
Old 18th December 2012, 19:30   #29
munroman
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I agree with the above re heat and polyurethane, polyurethane is a thermoplastic, so if taken above it's softening temperature and under load, it will permanently (until the next heating) deform.

Then all bets are off re how it will perform.

Given how close the turbo is to the engine mount, it is conceivable that the mount will get pretty hot, especially if an undertray is fitted, with a sort of still air pocket behind the engine. (It would be interesting if someone put temperature recorders on the mount to see what temperatures its 'seeing' in use.)

Polyurethane also ages over time, if anyone has ever had one of those fancy waterproof map cases made of polyurethane they might have noticed it yellows after a few years, that is chlorine breaking out of the polyurethane material.
Heat will greatly accelerate this ageing process.

Also, there will be severe vibration, again, polyurethane will eventually get brittle and start to tear, which is what looks has happened to the red mount.
Depending upon the grade of polyurethane it can also be affected by microbes, i.e. it starts to rot, especially in warm, damp conditions.

Personally, I would stick with OEM, the Chinese one looks more engineered, and appears designed to flex in certain planes more than others, 'shunt' is when the engine rocks front to back under load, as an example the early Montegos had to have an extra 35mm put on their air intake hoses as the original ones were being ripped off by the engine movement.

Diesels have pretty soft engine mounts, without the lower mount the M47R can rock quite impressively with just a little push, so I would suggest that the lower mount will have reasonably large forces acting upon it, so it must be important to stabilise the engine and transmission.
munroman is offline   Reply With Quote