View Single Post
Old 26th December 2018, 12:18   #45
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Handbrakes need to be adjusted properly.

I think its tight at the back, then 3 notches/turns slackened off.

It likely will need applying and driven slowly to clean the shoes and drums up, if the handbrake has never had much use.

My experience of the 75 handbrake adjustment suggests that is the 3 notches is wrong and leaves too much play. The best way to adjust is with the adjuster fully tightened, maybe a good tap with a mallet to get the shoes fully centred, a final tighten, then back off. You then back it off a notch or two, just enough that you can easily turn the drum, but with still some definite rubbing of the drum as it is spun. Even mechanics get this wrong, no rubbing means a wide gap and a lot of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
You may have something there Pete, I could never fix the h/brake on my last car (75 Mk1) It always felt solid, no 'spring' as you call it. I was told it had Pagid shoes, a make I never rated. Always felt the friction material needed to be softer.

I have heard the complaint many times, where an owner has fixed and adjusted everything spot on and still had no useful result, despite new none OEM shoes. There are not many reasons to fit new shoes on the 75, they do not usually wear at all. So oil damaged, or the friction material coming off the shoes seem to be the only reasons for replacement.

Once sorted, they need to be given a small amount of work to do, to keep them working 100%. That involves regular use where the handbrake is applied lightly gently for the last few yards as you come to a stop. That keeps drum rust at bay and the shoes clean.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote