Thread: Manifold Flaps
View Single Post
Old 17th August 2019, 14:19   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
What an utter load of tosh. Vis motors either work or they don't, they will not make the car stutter or jerk.

Michael; despite your faith in your local service station, I'm afraid that they're wrong on this occasion. It's not that they're being dishonest, they're trying to be helpful and guessing what is wrong because they haven't been able to find it. The VIS system will be a mystery to most garages.

I have an idea of what the cause might be. It's very common and easily and cheaply rectified. After the first few years of production, the type of fuel filter was changed. Unfortunately the new type is within a two part canister with a screw lid. The lid loosens over time and fuel pressure to the injectors drops. Eventually the car doesn't start at all.

The solution is to tighten the two halves again by hand and fit a special plastic clip which was produced by MG Rover to cure this problem. Do not under any circumstances open the canister. I'm told that it's very difficult to reassemble without snagging the 'O' ring seal within and if that happens, the fuel pressure problem will persist or worsen. It just requires tightening and the clip fitting.

Of course the fuel filter might not be the culprit but one thing is definite. It's not the VIS actuators.

Simon