View Single Post
Old 8th August 2016, 10:28   #113354
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Morning all, been a disastrous start to the holiday, put the awaking up last night, and then no sooner had we started, the wind got up . Managed to get it secured and pegged down, got up this morning at 6.15 and found it in a heap on the ground. The wind had pulled it out of the awning rail completely.
Two snapped poles, one carbon and one ally. Had a basic tool box with me ,so with the use of a hacksaw blade ,cut off the crushed end of the carbon pole,and the ally one had snapped almost through on the join where it slides into the next one. So cut the narrow bit off at the break, cut through it vertically, hammered it so it was smaller, then tapped it into one side,offered up the other pole and tHey joined together fine. Will need to get a replacement sometime, but it will do until we get home. Only problem is it's still far too bloooody windy to try and erect the awning, it's still in a heap pegged to the ground and will remain there until the wind drops.
Not being a caravanner I can't advise, but I do know the destructive power of the weather when the wind gets up. All you do is rely on your experience and your best. Chin up mate
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote