View Single Post
Old 10th November 2016, 13:00   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Thumbs up Tools, Techniques and DIY Gizmos.

Having experienced an unusual freak incident with my MG ZT-T 1.8t which ripped out the nearside front Wheel Arch Liner along with the ABS Sensor Cable a few days ago, checking the supply to and the readings from the actual Sensor is difficult because of the design of the Blue Connectors, both male and female.

With that in mind I removed part of the ABS Sensor Cable and its Blue Connector from a Scrap Yard Rover 75. I made up this little DIY Diagnostic to enable the ABS Sensors to be checked using a Multimeter quickly.

You need to separate the Blue Connector and use the Male part to check the cable to the actual Sensor on the wheel hub assembly. The female part of the blue connector can be used to check the power supply from the loom in the engine compartment. :~

Although both cables each side of the Blue Connector look undamaged, the lack of a reading from the actual sensor on the hub makes me suspect the cable was stressed during the incident and possibly severed the electrical connection somewhere in that part of the cable or Sensor itself. Having an identical car closeby to check its readings to use as a control comparison helps too... Prior to the incident, the ABS behaved itself well as it's one of the things I check on a newly acquired used car. Simply by driving it at say 30 mpg on damp or wet grass and applying the brakes firmly and feeling the ABS pulses on the brake pedal as the system does its stuff.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote