View Single Post
Old 9th February 2018, 11:58   #109
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
So the bottom line is the Hospital doesn't get some freely given monies to use to treat patients because the trustees 'know' where the money has come from? Oh well. Chris.S.
You are not alone in questioning this overt “virtue signalling” by some on the receiving end of charitable donations. I think the worst was (apologies- I have mentioned it earlier) the hospital that refused a donation raised by an annual bed push where blokes dressed up as Nurses to push the bed. Some PC warrior felt this denigrated Nurses.

But it was nice to see another nearby hospital say that they would love to have the money as it was a fun event and not any sort of “statement”.

We suffer far too much in my view by way of minorities shouting loudest and so skewing common sense.

I personally think the Presidents Club event was seedy - sad old men with a few bob behind them trying it on. It’s pathetic.

But the fall out from this will be future charitable events cancelled and those that go ahead may well see lower attendance which = lower donations for charities.

So we are all that little bit better off because we can say seedy events are less likely to happen - but the opportunity cost will be those in real need may suffer if charities cannot raise the funds they need.

Last edited by Darcydog; 9th February 2018 at 12:02..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote