View Single Post
Old 14th October 2021, 20:23   #14
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Not sure why a garage can't do this unless they can make more by charging for recovery ?
I think you've answered your own question there, it earns them more money.

Years ago when I hadn't had the ZT long, the clutch went on the way back from Cornwall, leaving stuck at the side of the A30. The RAC sent out one of their own transit type vans to tow us to somewhere safe, and parked us up at some services. A couple of hours later we were recovered by a local firm to their depot. The boss there wanted to give me a battered old Citroen Picasso hire car and recover my car to me sometime the following week. I said I wanted the car to go with me as I'd already booked it in for repair, (admittedly I hadn't, I just didn't want the hire car and I wanted my car with me), and he got very stroppy, telling me my car was worth nothing anyway etc etc. I ended up phoning the RAC in front of him and they agreed straight away to recovering my car to my address, as per my level of cover, much to his annoyance.

So he ended up keeping us waiting for a few hours, and then gave the driver the oldest most beaten up recovery truck in the yard, and recovered us as far as Bristol, and then we were transferred to another company who brought us the rest of the way home.

Anyway, the main point of this being, the driver of the 1st firm that recovered us to Bristol, got chatting and he admitted that the owner preferred to give hire cars rather than recover. That way he charges the RAC/AA or whoever, for initial recovery, then charges for a hire car for X number of days, plus storage fees of the broken down vehicle for X days, and then charges for the recovery of the vehicle all the way home, rather than just part way.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote