View Single Post
Old 16th October 2021, 14:42   #32
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Couldn’t agree more, the so-called housing ‘market’ is screwed (there are other words one could use) heavily in favour of the landowners/developers/
financiers. These are the ones that move in similar circles of mutual benefit irrespective of party loyalties (and not necessarily drinks parties!) It’s the biggest ‘mutual’ industry in the country.

It has precious little to do with the needs of the people or societal aims – merely the continuance of the profit turnaround in the interests of the wealthy. I was part of it (on the finance side but not the wealthy!) for 25 years through the whole political cycle and at all levels. Not that I’m cynical, of course.
'
The trouble is, it is the same everywhere and the vested interests make sure of it. Much is made of the level of consumer protection but the whole thing is illusory, that’s only the transfer of the money aspect and nothing to do with the social needs, rather the Lenders' objectives. The motto is: is there a market NOW, and will it Sell. And that applies under every colour of government.

There’s nowt wrong with profit, but the game is loaded too much one way on an already sloping pitch. Remember council houses? When houses were built on the basis of a genuine need? As opposed to naked profit? In spite of our size, the one thing we are not short of is Land. It’s not a question of Right or Left, it’s preparation for a new generation of wealth producers.