View Single Post
Old 17th October 2021, 22:51   #35
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
How old are your children and what area would they be looking to buy?
They are under 12, so not for a while yet. But I cannot see how it will be possible. Even in the north east where I am!

Quote:
Oh boy, there are a number of reasons why the state needs to provide housing, sometimes temporary and sometimes permanent. Refugees, those to sick to work are a couple of examples, those that lose their home for one reason or another and perhaps cannot get work so cannot afford to rent.
Some say that rental properties add to the housing shortage.
I thought housing benefit was now capped and this had lead to people being evicted as they cannot afford the rent.
I don't see why the state needs to be involved in provision. If we don't eat, we will die, yet the state doesn't run the supermarkets. Indeed, I suggest they would be grim places if they did.

Refugees? Do we get many Irish or French fleeing war?

Housing benefit cap is a political joke. They are given discretionary payments to cover the gap. Get yourself five kids by different men and you can have a huge house paid for by the hard work of others. The benefit calculations are banded and based on average rents, so there is a never ending game of raising the rent, then the benefit etc.

Quote:
If a big mortgage gets you the home you want, is that not enjoying your money? I've driven down a few roads to see the expensive car on the drive yet thought omg what a dive of an area to live. People enjoy their money differently. The car is much more obtainable then a house when funds a re limited.
Oh yes, it is better than a car, but it is still dead money. If houses crashed 90% in value, I think it might benefit more people than it hurts...
richw is offline   Reply With Quote